Sunday 26 October 2014

Snow like Ashes by Sara Raasch


A heartbroken girl. A fierce warrior. A hero in the making.

Sixteen years ago the Kingdom of Winter was conquered and its citizens enslaved, leaving them without magic and a monarch. Now, the Winterian's only hope for freedom is the eight survivors who managed to escape, and who have been waiting for an opportunity to steal back Winter's magic and rebuild the Kingdom ever since. Orphaned as an infant during Winter's defeat, Meira has lived her whole life as a refugee, raised by the Winterian's General, Sir. Training to be a warrior and desperately in love with her best friend and future King, she would do anything to help see her kingdom rise to power again. So when scouts discover the location of the ancient locket that can restore Winter's magic, Meria decides to go after it herself. Finally, she's scaling towers, fighting enemy soldiers and serving her kingdom just as she's always dreamed she would. But the mission doesn't go as planned, and Meira soon finds herself thrust into a world of evil magic and dangerous politics, and soon comes to realise that her destiny is not, and never has been, her own. 

Hello book that I have been desperately searching for to fill the endless black void in my life which I've been filling with dangerous amounts of crappy titles. I feel a bit like Gollum and the Ring with this story, I want to hold onto it forever and never let go because this is the best High Fantasy book I have read since Throne of Glass. If there were more books like this in the world, I would be a lot happier because my brain wouldn't have to suffer through the cringeworthy to get to the extraordinary and that would make everyone's life much brighter without my near constant cynicism. But I digress. As soon as I opened this fabulously covered yes I judge books by their cover sue me book, I felt like there was a shift in the fabric of the universe as I was transported to a story my dreams are made of (let me be dramatic for a little bit). As the reader, you are thrust right into a confusing maelstrom of politics and kingdom names and character names and weapon names, but it's all ok, because you eventually catch up and then this book becomes ambrosia for all those High Fantasy fans out there. I don't want to say too much about the story because there are just so many things that the blurb leaves out and they are all awesome plot twists and suprises, so all I'm going to say is that this story is filled with heroics, swords, strong female characters, hot shirtless princes/kings and magic. What more could anybody want? 

Rating: 5/5 Titans

"Someday, we will be more than words in the dark"

No comments:

Post a Comment