Wednesday 22 October 2014

Into the Fire by Ashelyn Drake



Seventeen-year-old Cara Tillman's life is perfectly normal until Logan Schmidt moves to Ashlan Falls. Cara is drawn to him, though she's not exactly complaining. As the two grow closer, everything is near perfect, except for one tiny little detail. Cara isn't a normal high school girl. She's part of a small group of special people who are descended from the mythical phoenix, and her time with Logan is running out. Her first rebirth is nearing where she will be consumed by fire, but reborn from her own ashes, the only problem is that she will forget her previous life, and everyone in it. Cara will forget Logan and everything they mean to each other, but that may not be the last of her worries. A phoenix hunter is on the loose, and he's determined to put an end to the lives of people like Cara and her family. 

Arg the blurb for the book sounded so promising and interesting and something I could really get into, but alas, all my dreams went up in a burst of flame (ha get it? phoenix's). It started off really great and had me believing that this was the perfect young adult story about phoenix's, but by the time that Logan came and in a couple short days they were already desperately in love, I just found it ridiculous. (maybe I'm just getting more mature? Nah) The characters just didn't do anything for me, I felt that the author really didn't put much thought behind some of their personalities, especially Logan, she gave him a sad backstory, wrapped an obviously symbolic leather jacket on him and sent him off. Don't get me started on Cara either, she is an annoying girl who blushes way too much and had to have other minor characters tell the reader that she is the most caring person ever to get her traits across. The writing didn't engage me much either, I was honestly bored most of the book until the last ten pages where stuff actually happened, and I was admittedly cheering for the bad guy. I don't think I will bother with the next book in the series, it just didn't hold my attention and draw me into the story. I guess I have to keep looking for that perfect Phoenix book. 


Rating: 1.5/5 Titans



No comments:

Post a Comment