Monday 2 November 2015

Rare Form by Jen Crane



*ARC received for an honest review, thank you!

Fiery redhead Stella Stonewall can't decide between a margarita and a manhattan. The rest of her life? Please. Stella has never really fit in, and her pretty world comes crashing down when she learns it was never her world at all. Rowan Gresham is domineering, brooding, and as sexy as chocolate-dipped sin. When he transports Stella to the magical realm of her parents she recognises her rightful place immediately. Gresham's motivations aren't as clear. 
The enigmatic Gresham aids in Stella's metamorphosis and their chemistry ignites, though a long time girlfriend and a significant age difference stands in the way. Stella's life fast-tracks extraordinarily when she enrolls at Radix Citadel for Supernatural Learning, an enchanted college whose students turn fury on the regular. As Stella learns to navigate the new world of Thayer she must find her animal form, a task as elusive as her ancestory. Stella soon faces and even bigger challenge: stay alive long enough to learn to manipulate an animal form she never knew she possessed.

So first thing first, I really enjoyed this book, I loved the characters, I loved the story and I loved the original idea behind it. However, it was so short! I wanted this book to go on forever and ever, learn more about the characters and the awesome world that this author created. I just don't feel like there were enough pages to really go in depth with the characters, and because of this, while I did enjoy all of them, there was just an extra something missing for me. It was all a bit shallow, no amazing descriptions of this new world that I want to know more about, no amazing dialogue between characters that shows their inner conflict and demons. I loved this book, but I really just wanted more from it. That being said, I could have read 500 pages of it and it still would not have been enough. Jen Crane weaves an intriguing story of magic and shapeshifting, different dimensions and people that will leave readers begging for more. 

Rating: 3.5/5

No comments:

Post a Comment