Wednesday 12 August 2015

Curse of the Sphinx by Raye Wagner


*ARC received for an honest review, thank you!

How long can a monster hide in plain sight?
Seventeen-year-old Hope Nicholas has spent her entire life on the run. But no one is chasing her. In fact, no one even knows she exists. With her Mum, she's travelled from town to town and school to school, barely staying long enough to meet anyone, let alone make friends. And she'll have to keep it that way. It's safer. When her mother is brutally ripped away from her, Hope's life shatters. Is this the fulfilment of Apollo's curse? Is Hope, too, being hunted? Orphaned and alone, Hope flees again. but this time there's no one to teach her who to trust-or how to love. 
Set in a universe where mythology is alive and well in the modern world, Curse of the Sphinx irresistibly blends action, suspense and romance. 

I wouldn't have minded a bit more action to have taken place within the story, I was a bit let down in that aspect, but I instantly fell in love with Hope and Athan. They were both very interesting and unique characters, however, there was an added depth that I felt was missing from their personalities that would have taken this story from the 'great' category to the 'omfg-give-me-the-next-one-now' category. But I was very taken with the universe the story was set in, how mythology is something as well known as history and taught as much as maths in schools. For me, this is what made in gravitate towards the book, and I was not disappointed by what I found within its pages. 'Curse of the Sphinx' is a heart-wrenching story that had me reading for a solid four hours before it sadly ended way too soon. I cannot wait to see where this series takes the characters and readers both, I can tell that this is the start of something awesome. 

Rating: 3.5/5

No comments:

Post a Comment